William Green, the founder of Grenson, built his factory in 1895 in order to accommodate a huge surge in shoe demand towards the end of the 19th century, during Queen Victoria’s reign.
The factory was one of the biggest of its kind in the country and made Grenson one of the most important shoemakers in the country, employing at its height up to 400 people.
Today the factory is almost untouched and many of the craftsmen and women are descendents of the original workforce, so the spirit and heart of Grenson continues in a way that is extremely rare in this day and age.